Sunday, March 25, 2012

How did I get here anyway?


I thought it would be fitting to share the story of how I left Small Town X. Surprisingly enough, it was very similar to how I came to be in Small Town X, divine intervention. Now there may be those of you that do not believe in such a thing. That believe that life is random, left without order in seemingly organized chaos. However, I would disagree. I took the position in Small Town X because I felt that I was meant to be there, to learn something. I was absolutely right. I learned a great many lessons, the most important of which was trusting in timing that was not my own. The greatest lessons I learned there included being more patient, realizing that even alone in a new place I could survive and most importantly, that I was never truly alone after all. Once I understood what I needed to gain from the experience, things began to fall into place better than I ever could have imagined. Recognizing that I had experienced and was taken away what I was meant to from Small Town X, it was not three weeks when I got a call about a position in Las Vegas. I thought ok, this is where my next adventure will be taking me. But throughout the interview process and getting ready to look into housing, it felt wrong. I just knew that I was not meant to play out the next chapter of my life on the strip. But I was ready to take the first offer that got me out of Small Town X. After a great deal of prayer, I knew that something had to happen and it had to be out of my hands. The last thing that you want to do after a year and a half of asking to leave somewhere is say no to the position that is offered. I asked with all sincerity of purpose that if my gut was right, let it not work out.

The very next morning I was four hours from Small Town X visiting a friend and expressing my concern over leaving for Vegas that Sunday, when I missed a call that said the position was on hold and to cancel my trip down for the time being. I was overcome with relief and just thought, please let something that feels right come along before the position opens up again. Not 30 minutes later I got a call from a woman on the other end of the phone that said, there is a position just north of Salt Lake City that I was wondering if you would be interested in? The tears came as I expressed my interest in being considered. She then asked if I was ever in the area to meet the staff? At that moment I had just driven past the exit for the facility. She being as shocked as I was at this series of miracles, asked if I would turn around and go to the facility at once to meet the staff and interview. When I got to the building and walked in, I knew this was where I was meant to be. I just hoped that they felt the same. It was a whirl win of excitement and nerves. I left and was scheduled to meet the area manager the next Wednesday, until two days later when I got a call saying that he did not need me to come back up, in his mind the decision was made. The final step was getting approval from headquarters. They met the following Monday. I spent the long weekend on the edge of my seat as this group of individuals held the decision that would literally change my life in their hands. Tuesday came and I got the call, I was officially being offered the position. To top it all off I would be moving in a mere 10 days. With joy and panic all sinking in at once, I needed a place to live. Three days later I drove up, found an apartment and signed a lease. Seven days later I moved. So when I hear that life is random, that there is nothing greater than myself, I think of where I am right now. How it came to be. And that there was no set of coincidences that brought me here, but rather a plan that I was unaware of, but am indescribably grateful for now. In my moments (or sometimes hours, days or months) of uncertainty, I hope that I can always remember this experience. Remember that as insignificant as I may feel, or unimportant as it may appear, that there is a greater purpose in store if I am patient enough to trust in something greater than myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment