Saturday, October 6, 2012

Shhhh... no talking!

I like to talk. No explanation, reasoning or debate. Just a simple fact. There are times when I feel like being reflective and pensive. Turning inward and taking in the surroundings I am experiencing. These times are rejuvenating and helpful. However, there is a cap for me. I would say that beyond 3/4 of a day, and I am talking to the cat and praying that the day doesn't come when he talks back. Knowing this about me, it is no surprise that I would be caught in shocked silence at the news that my best friend was leaving for a five day meditation retreat. It is not the meditation that was shocking, but the fact that this retreat was being conducted in "noble silence". An entire 5 days with no verbal communication, with one exception, one hour a day of private instruction with your teacher. Let me tell you, should I be able to have the restraint to participate, that hour would be intense! Not so much for me, but the teacher may revoke my speaking privileges. It amazes me how open she is to try new things, challenge herself, and look for answers not from the popular fads or theories, but from within herself. That without the distractions of life around her, clarity and understanding will reveal itself to her. This got me thinking, although five days of reflection is a bit out of my league, how can I truly grasp these principles in my every day life? There are several activities that I participate in that encourage quiet and reflection, but I am one who easily gets caught up not in the things around me, but in my own brain. Sometimes it will just not quit! So I decided some research into the concepts of this retreat may give me some more ideas coupled with what I already participate in. The guidelines of the retreat, no verbal communication, no electronics, an all natural vegan diet, meditation experiences and time away from your life. What things can I implement that may assist me? First and foremost, turning my cell phone off. Not on vibrate, because that is my preference, but then I silently watch for the screen to light up or hear that familiar buzz. Take time to spend in nature, away from the busy-ness of urban life. And take time to really listen for answers. I ask plenty of questions, putting my heart's desires and life's questions out there, but not taking the time to listen for the answers. I am anxious to speak with her when she returns and to hear about the experience overall. I am slightly wicked though. My last question was one that planted a horrible seed for her. I inquired, "Do you get in trouble for giggling?" What??? was her response. I don't know about the rest of you, but after a few days of silence, the release for me would be breaking into uncontrollable giggling that I could not stop even if I tried. Let's just say that there is a small part of me that would love to hear what would happen, should in the middle of her meditation she remember this quick conversation and burst into laughter. I have a feeling this may be a story in the making and cannot wait to hear how it is going to end. I am evil, but I can't help it. Life is an experience and are what the best stories are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment