Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Yo-ho, yo-ho a pirate’s life for me!



The time has come to share the goings on of northern Utah, which like its small town predecessor, has some unique events of its own. Unlike the “bedazzle your bra” contest of Small Town X’s county fair, the 2nd annual Pirate Festival was a not to be missed event, or so we thought…

Now let me paint a picture for you on National Talk like a Pirate Day. I decided I would dress to impress, with anything I already owned, that was pirate-like. This included a set of Captain Jack Sparrow dreadlocks and hat, some Aztec looking jewelry and gaudy earrings. We set off for the bay where we were ready for whatever adventures the pirate festival had to offer. When we arrived we found that this festival is a work in progress, boasting no more than a couple dozen booths and underwhelming attendance. However, it was definitely a worthwhile experience and here is why.

Lack of crowds made for easy access to any booth. While others may have spent a Saturday running errands, cleaning house, or any other number of run of the mill activities (the same ones I would normally be participating in) I spent this particular Saturday improving my minimal archery skills, learning to throw knives, getting a private, pirate magic show which taught me the values of good pirating (ie. to lie, cheat and steal) watching them set a mermaid free in the bay, petting a goat and hanging with a very good Jack Sparrow impersonator. All in all, it was quite the experience, and I left with one song echoing in my mind, yo-ho, yo-ho it’s a pirate’s life for me!

1 comment: